Dr. Nelson Mortimer Jackson was born on the 15th of September, 1847 in Eastern Ontario near Portland. He was the 5th of 10 children born to Thomas Jackson and the former Celinda Hawley. His siblings were; Benjamin, John, Freeman, Cornelius, Lorinda, Emily, George, Laura and Dianna. According to the 1871 census Dr. Jackson was a carpenter, like his father in Kingston Twp.
The 1882 Ontario Medical Register recorded that Dr. Nelson M. Jackson became a member of the College of Physicians and Surgeons on the 24th of April, 1876 and he was living in Port Lambton (Lambton County). Due to the close proximity of Port Lambton to Chatham-Kent, Dr. Jackson attended to patients in Wallaceburg and the surrounding area.
Dr. Jackson was married to Margaret Ann McDonald. Mrs. Jackson was born in Port Lambton on the 1st of November, 1854. She was the 2nd of 8 children born to John Duncan McDonald and Margaret McDonald. Her father listed his occupation on the 1861 census as a mariner and on the 1871 census as an engineer. Her siblings were; Duncan, William, Mary, Matilda (died in 1881 at the age of 20 of a lung ailment), Adeline, Agnes and David (died in 1885 at the age of 14 of typhoid).
Dr. and Mrs. Jackson had 5 children all born in Port Lambton; John Wellington Jackson was born on the 12th of October, 1876, Matilda Lilly Jackson was born on the 29th of September, 1882, Adeline Marjorie Jackson was born on the 13th of January, 1884, Edith Irene Jackson was born on 7th of August, 1887 and Margaret B Jackson was born (after the death of her father) on the 3rd of December, 1890.
According to the 1881 census, the family was living in Port Lambton with Dr. Jackson’s widowed mother Celinda.
Dr. Jackson died on the 3rd of April, 1890 and he was buried at the McDonald Cemetery in Port Lambton. Mrs. Jackson continued to live in Port Lambton after his death and she earned a living as a dressmaker. She died on the 5th of October, 1928 and she was buried next to her husband.
*Dr. Jackson’s 4 daughters all married. Upon their deaths they were all buried at the McDonald Cemetery in Port Lambton.