Dr. Mary Louisa Agar was born on November 9th, 1856 near Port Hope, Ontario. Her parents Thomas Agar and the former Abigail Weary, were immigrants from England and were considered farming pioneers in Canada, settling initially on the Caledonia Road in Chatham Township. Dr. Mary Louisa Agar was the 6th of 10 children. Her siblings included, Sarah Ann, William, Thomas Sanderson, Catherine Jane, Charles Benjamin, Jabez, Emmiline, John Samuel and Lois Blanche.
Mr. and Mrs. Agar, felt so strongly about their children’s education, that they moved to Toronto in 1883, so that the children could benefit from a university education. Their daughter Mary and their son John Samuel graduated from The University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine in 1890. According to the 1928 Medical Register, Mary graduated M.D.C.M. and John Samuel graduated M.B. Both doctors joined the College of Physicians and Surgeons on the 22 of May 1890.
Dr. Mary Louisa Agar and Dr. John Samuel Agar opened their medical practice in Dover Centre. They appear in the 1891 census, living in Dover Twp. Curiously it lists Dr. John S. Agar as a doctor and Dr. Mary L. Agar as a doctress. In October of 1904, they purchased the practice of Dr. William Henry Tye in Dover Centre, Ontario.
According to the 1921 census, Dr. Agar lived at 245 Kings Street West in Chatham with her brother Dr. John Samuel Agar and her sister Lois Blanche Agar, whose occupation was listed as a nurse. Dr. and Dr. Agar were practicing medicine in Chatham.
Dr. Mary Louisa Agar died on March 6th, 1931. At the time of her death, she resided at 267 King Street West. The funeral service was held at her brother Charles’ residence. She was buried at the Arnold Cemetery near Chatham.
After his sister’s death in 1931, Dr. John Agar continued to practice medicine until his retirement in 1937. He died on the 14th of August of 1940 and he was buried at Maple Leaf Cemetery in Chatham.
*Dr. John Samuel Agar and Dr. William Henry Tye are also featured on the Chatham-Kent Physician Tribute website.