Dr. Marvin Lee Booth was born in Marine City, Michigan on the 12th of December, 1905. He was the first son born to his parents, Bert Booth and the former Jemima “Jane Ann” Doan. His siblings were; Margaret, Ethel, Hazel, Mildred, Gertrude, Gordon and Bruce. During his early childhood, Dr. Booth’s family moved around considerably. He received education in Eton, Colorado and Morse, Saskatchewan and Cadillac, Saskatchewan. Once the family settled in Wallaceburg he attended Wallaceburg High School. According to the 1921 census, the family resided at 117 Wallace Street (in Wallaceburg).
Dr. Booth graduated M.D. from the University of Western Ontario in 1932. He completed his internship at St. Mary’s Hospital and Children’s Hospital in Detroit, Michigan and in Ontario at the Hamilton General Hospital.
Dr. Booth started his medical practice in Wallaceburg in 1934. Dr. Booth served with the R.C.A.M.C. during World War II from 1940 to 1945. Dr. Booth returned to Wallaceburg after the war with the rank of Major. He was a coroner from 1948-1955. Dr. Booth was appointed Chief of Medical Staff at the Sydenham District Hospital in 1957.
He served on the Wallaceburg District High School Board for 7 years. Dr. Booth was a member of the Masonic Lodge and a 32nd degree Mason of the Scottish Rite. He was a member of the Wallaceburg Power Squadron and he was a member of the Wallaceburg Rotary Club.
Dr. Booth married Carmen Lucille Borman on the 20th of October in 1937 in Stratford, Ontario. She was born on December 17th, 1913 in Chatham, Ontario, the youngest of 3 children. Her parents were Andrew Borman and the former Christiana MacDonald. According to the 1921 census, she lived at 55 Water Street in Chatham, with her mother and her brother John. (Her father had died in 1917).
Dr. and Mrs. Booth had 3 children; Sondra, Lee and Jane Anne.
Dr. Booth was appointed as the Chief of Staff at Sydenham District Hospital in December of 1958. He was a recipient of the prestigious Glenn Sawyer Award from the Ontario Medical Association. This award is presented to a physician who has greatly contributed to their local community and the medical profession. Dr. Booth’s medical practice was located at 305 Nelson Street in Wallaceburg. He sold the practice to Dr. Michael A. McElligott in 1974. Dr. Booth continued to see patients at the practice for a few years after he sold the practice to Dr. McElligott.
Mrs. Booth died in 1984 and she was buried at the McDonald Cemetery, 406 Lambton Line in Sombra Township. Dr. Booth married Bernice Madeline (Haley) Tiffin in 1987. Mrs. Booth was the daughter of Maurice Haley and the former Madeline Smith. She was a nurse, who graduated B.ScN from the University of Western Ontario in 1947. She was married to Dr. Eldon Tiffin in 1958. Dr. Tiffin died in 1963.
Dr. Booth died on the 24th of August, 1994 in Port Lambton, Ontario. He was buried next to his wife Carmen Lucille Booth.
After the death of Dr. Booth, Bernice Madeline (Haley) (Tiffin) Booth married William Earl Hill some years later. She died in 2002 and she was buried at the Springford Cemetery in Oxford County.
*Dr. Booth is also featured on the Gathering Our Heroes website.
**Dr. Eldon Tiffin also appears on the Chatham-Kent Physician Tribute website.