Dr. Lorenzo Backus was born on the 28th of April, 1855 in Morpeth, Ontario. His parents Thomas Backus and the former Cornelia Keyes farmed in Raleigh Twp. He was the 4th of 5 children. His siblings were William (1851-1856), Milton, Stephen and Anne (1859-1860). His parents and his brother William and his sister Anne are buried at the Morpeth Cemetery. His grandfather Stephen Backus, emigrated from the United States to Elgin County.
Dr. Backus graduated M.B. from The University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine in 1883 and started his practiced in Chatham. In March of 1885, he took over the practice of Dr. George Elvins Richardson. The medical office was located on Harvey Street. (Dr. Richardson died on the 23rd of February, 1885). According to the 1892 Ontario Medical Register, Dr. Backus joined the College of Physicians and Surgeons on the 7th of January, 1885. There were advertisements in Chatham Directories for Dr. Backus in 1887, 1895, 1896 and 1900.
He is remembered to have a pale complexion and a kind heart. In 1896 his medical practice was located on King Street near Sixth Street. According to the 1901 census, he was recorded as living with his brother Stephen Backus in Chatham.
Dr. Backus died suddenly on the 12th of June, 1902 in Chatham. He never married. Dr. Backus was buried at Mapleleaf Cemetery in Chatham.
*Dr. George Elvins Richardson also appears on the Chatham-Kent Physician Tribute website.