Dr. Leonard Albert Glenn was born January 29th 1888 near Strathroy, Ontario, the eldest son of George Glenn and the former Margaret McKenzie. His siblings included, Fred, George, Laura and Jemma. Dr. Glenn was educated in the Strathroy area. Dr. Glenn attended the University of Western Ontario and graduated M.D. with honors in 1912. Dr. Glenn interned at Toledo General Hospital in Ohio. He spent another 3 1/2 years training in surgery and acted as Resident Physician and Medical Director of Lucas County Hospital in Toledo Ohio. He went on to be the House Surgeon of Harper Hospital in Detroit, Michigan. According to the 1928 Ontario Medical Register, Dr. Glenn joined the College of Physicians and Surgeons on the 24th of June, 1915.
Dr. Glenn practiced in Chatham, Ontario throughout his entire medical career. He opened his medical office in the Backus Building at 147 King St., in Chatham in January of 1916.
Dr. Glenn married Anna Isabelle Wilson from Cedar Springs on September 15th, 1922. She was born on the 8th of September, 1900, the daughter of Frank Wilson and the former Annie Shoemaker. Mr. Wilson was a farmer and the family resided at Lot 4, concession 2, Harwich Township. Mrs. Glenn had 4 siblings. Her sister Olive “Myrtle” was born on the 16th of May, 1893. Her sister Jennie was born on the 7th of April, 1895. Her brother John was born on the 15th of February, 1898 and her younger sister Florence was born on the 3rd of May, 1903. Sadly, her sister Florence died on the 8th of January, 1919 at the Public General Hospital in Chatham. The cause of death was listed as influenza.
Dr. and Mrs. Glenn resided in Cedar Springs and attended the United Church there. Dr. Glenn served as President of the Chatham Medical Society. He also acted as the physician for the Ursuline College for a number of years. In 1934, Dr. Glenn’s office was located at 275 King Street West in Chatham.
Dr. Glenn died on the 28th of February, 1961 after a lengthy illness. Mrs. Glenn died in Chatham in 1966. They were buried at Maple Leaf Cemetery in Chatham.