Dr. John “Ross” Van Allen was born in July of 1849 in Chatham. His father Daniel Ross Van Allen, founded the Town of Dresden, Ontario. His father owned a manufacturing company known as Wagon Works. Mr. Van Allen listed his occupation on the 1881 Census as a Saw Mill Owner. His mother was the former Susanna Williams. Dr. Van Allen was the second of 4 children, and his siblings were Mildred, Harriett “Hattie” and Edmond. His mother died in 1865 and his father married Mary Waller in 1866. His brother Robert was born around 1873.
Dr. Van Allen graduated from Queens Medical School in 1871. He started practicing medicine in Morpeth, Ontario. Dr. Van Allen played on the Chatham Cricket Club and he was chosen to play on the Ontario Cricket team in 1871.
He married Isabella Helena Clark on the 20th of June, 1872, in Kingston, Ontario. She was born on the 3rd of December 1850 in Kingston to Charles Clark and the former Jane Ann Badgely. She had 12 brothers and sisters.
Dr. and Mrs. Van Allen had 5 children, Florence, Lawrence Ross, Mildred, Helene and Edmond.
Dr. Van Allen appears in the 1874-1875 Kent County Business Directory as practicing in Chatham. In 1876, Dr. Van Allen formerly moved his practice from Morpeth to Chatham. In the March 6th edition of the Chatham newspaper there appears an article from the local residents of Morpeth, expressing their sadness that Dr. Van Allen was moving to Chatham. His Chatham office was located at 76 King St. W., and the family resided on Forsyth Street. Dr. Van Allen advertised this location in the 1877 Chatham Business Directory. Dr. Van Allen was a member of the Knights of Pythias, Marmion Lodge No. 15.
By 1880, Dr. and Mrs. Van Allen had moved their family to Kansas City, Missouri. In the 1881 Kansas City Business Directory, Dr. Van Allen’s medical practice was listed as 1018 E. 12th Street and in the 1882 Business Directory his office was listed as 107 James St. Sometime around 1894, Dr. and Mrs. Van Allen moved to Denver, Colorado. He was the Medical Director of the Colorado Sanitarium, located at 1148 Broadway Street. In 1897 the Denver, Colorado Business Directory stated that his office was located at 1221 Broadway Street. The 1900 U.S. Census listed the Van Allen family as living at 1144 Clayton Ave., in Denver.
Dr. Van Allen died in 1901 and he was buried at the Fairmont Cemetery in Denver, Colorado.
The 1910 U.S. Census found Mrs. Van Allen living in Chicago, Illinois, with her children, Lawrence, Helene and Edmond.
Mrs. Van Allen died on the 9th of February, 1922. At the time of her death she resided at 120 Locust Street West in Chicago, Illinois. She was buried at Memorial Park Cemetery in Chicago.
*Dr. Van Allen’s son Lawrence served with the United States Armed Services during World War I. Dr. Van Allen’s son Edmund served with the United States Armed Services during World War II.