Dr. John Stalker was born on the 14th of February, 1850 in Kintyre, Scotland. His parents were Duncan Stalker and the former Flora Stewart. A young Dr. Stalker emigrated to Canada with his parents after his birth but prior to 1854. The family settled in Aldborough Twp, Elgin County, where his parents farmed. His older siblings Euphemia and Peter were born in Scotland and his younger siblings Archibald, Duncan (1856-1862) and another child named Duncan (born in 1863) were born in Ontario.
According to the 1871 census, Dr. Stalker was a school teacher in Aldborough Twp and he was living with his parents.
Dr. Stalker graduated M.B. from The University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine in 1876 and he settled near McKay’s Corners, Ontario. He married Helena Ross “Lena” Archer on the 10th of July, 1877 in Newbury. She was born in June of 1857 near Wardsville, the youngest of 7 children. Her parents were Henry and Susan Archer.
Dr. and Mrs. Stalker had 3 children all born in Ridgetown. Lena “Winnifred” was born on the 18th of June 1883, Nita Susannah was born on the 14th of December, 1885 and Ross Stewart Carpenter was born on the 24th of November, 1890. Dr. Stalker appears in the 1885 Ontario Business Directory as practicing in Harwich Township. Dr. and Mrs. Stalker moved to Ridgetown and built a home, located at 71 Main Street East. He practiced medicine in Ridgetown until 1895.
Dr. Stalker retired in 1900.
By 1901 Mrs. Stalker was living near Toronto with their children. (Dr. Stalker is not listed on the 1901, 1911 or 1921 census’ with his family in Toronto.)
Dr. Stalker died on the 28th of January, 1936 at Parkwood Hospital in London, Ontario. Mrs. Stalker died in 1950. They are buried at the Wardsville Cemetery.
Also listed on Dr. Stalkers tombstone are the names of his children, Winnifred 1883-1943, Ross 1890-1950 and Nita 1885-1969.
*Dr. Stalker’s son Ross Stewart Carpenter Stalker served with the Canadian Army during WWI. His Theatre of War is listed as France.
Pictured below is the home that Dr. Stalker built at 71 Main Street East.