Dr. John Robert Lloyd Woods was born in 1876 in Gillingham, Dorset, England. His father, Dr. Theophillus Woods was a surgeon and his mother was the former Catherine Bowen. Dr. Woods was the youngest of 3 children. He had a sister named Anna and a brother named William Henry Ogle Woods.
At the age of 14, Dr. John R. L. Woods was studying medicine and living at the District Royal Medical Benevolent College in Epsom, Surrey, England. He studied there from 1891 to 1894. In a publication documenting biographies of Epsom graduates, it states that Dr. Woods received his medical education at Selwyn College, (a constituent college of Cambridge University) and at St. Thomas Hospital. To be more specific, Dr. Woods graduated B.A. in 1897, M.R.C.S. and L.R.C.P in 1902. Following his post-graduate studies, he interned as the House Physician at the Bradford Royal Infirmary
Dr. Woods married Caroline Mary Pickering on the 30th of April, 1907 in St. George’s, Leeds County, England. She was born in Huddersfield, Yorkshire, England on the 19th of July 1875. She was the second of 4 children born to George Pickering and the former Mary Rebecca Sykes. Mr. Pickering was an insurance agent and a pawn broker and her siblings were; Frank, George and Alice. Mrs. Woods was a registered nurse and in 1901 she was working in the Royal Portsmouth Hospital in Portsmouth, England.
Dr. and Mrs. Woods had two children, Elizabeth Mary Woods was born on the 29th of April, 1908 and Robert Patrick Woods was born on the 1st of February, 1910. Both children were born in Worthen, Shropshire in Wales. Dr. Woods had a general family medical practice in Worthen. He was also the Medical Officer of Health. After he left Worthen he lived in London, England where he was the resident Medical Officer for the East London Hospital.
Dr. and Mrs. Woods and their 2 children, Elizabeth and Robert immigrated to Chatham, Ontario in May of 1920. On their entry declaration, Dr. Woods listed Dr. J. W. Coulter as a contact. In an interview by the Chatham Daily Planet in the June 4th, 1920 edition, Dr. Woods stated that his medical specialty was children’s diseases. According to the 1921 census, Dr. and Mrs. Woods and their children were residing at 124 Stanley Ave., in Chatham. Dr. Wood’s medical practice was advertised in the 1921-1922 and the 1922-1923 Vernon City of Chatham Directory. His office was located at 61 King St., West.
The Woods family returned to Wales in October of 1924. Their address listed was 91 Walter Road, Swansea, Wales.
By 1956 Dr. Woods was retired from the practice of medicine.
Mrs. Woods died on the 8th of November, 1956 at St. Andrews Hospital in Chippenham, Wiltshire. Dr. Woods died on the 14th of June, 1959 at the West Wales General Hospital in Carmarthenshire, U.K. His daughter Elizabeth, “a spinster”, was the benefactor of his will.
*Dr. Woods brother, Dr. William Henry Ogle Woods (1875-1945) practiced medicine in Swansea, Wales his entire life.
**Dr. James Walter Coulter also appears on the Chatham-Kent Physician Tribute website.