Dr. John Miles Standish was born on the 17th of April, 1841 in Esquesing, Halton County, Ontario. He was the 5th of 10 children born to Captain John Standish and the former Margaret McCullough. His siblings included; Joseph, Elizabeth, Mary, Susannah, Margaret, Charlotte, William, Nelson and Sarah.
Dr. Standish was married to the former Elizabeth Ann Turley (born in 1845) and they had 2 sons; Edward Aitken Standish who was born in Toronto on the 26th of July, 1865 and Charles Henry who was born on the 12 of July 1867. Mrs. Elizabeth Standish died in 1867.
Dr. Standish graduated M.B. from The University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine in 1870. He joined the College of Physicians and Surgeons on the 20th of December, 1872.
According to the 1871 census, Dr. Standish was a widower living and practicing medicine in Erin, Wellington County, Ontario. Dr. Standish married Mary Curry on the 12th of September, 1871, in Esquesing, Ontario. She was the daughter of Samuel Curry and the former Ann Starrett. After their marriage, Dr. and Mrs. Standish were living in Georgetown, where Dr. Standish had a busy medical practice. Two sons were born in Georgetown, Frederick Miles was born in 1873 and William Herbert was born in 1875. Between 1875 and 1893, the Standish family moved to Palmerston. Dr. and Mrs. Standish had another son born to them, while they lived in Palmerston. John Beverley “James” was born on the 31st of October, 1893.
According to the 1901 census, Dr. and Mrs. Standish and their sons, William and Beverly were living in Wallaceburg. His medical practice appears in business directories in Wallaceburg as early as 1900.
His wife Mary died in December of 1915, in Guelph, Ontario at her sisters residence. She was buried at that Georgetown Cemetery. At the time of her death, Dr. Standish was still practicing in Wallaceburg. His son, “James” Beverley Standish enlisted in the Canadian Army on the 15th of January, 1915 in Chatham, Ontario. He was killed in action at Vimy Ridge, during World War I on the 9th of April, 1917 and he was buried by his comrades, near Neuvill-Saint-Vaast in France. His body was exhumed after the war and he was reburied at Nine Elms Military Cemetery, in Thelus, France.
By 1921 Dr. Standish was living with his son Charles in Toronto. He died on the 11th of November, 1924 and he was buried at the Greenwood Cemetery, in Georgetown, Ontario.
*The photo of Dr. Standish is courtesy of the Wallaceburg Museum
**John Beverley Standish appears on the Gathering Our Heroes website.