Dr. John Malcolm Graham was born in St. Marys, Ontario, on the 29th of October, 1911. His father, James White Graham was a lawyer in St. Marys and his mother was the former Annie McLaren. He was the youngest of 5 children. His siblings were; James, William, Adelaide and Beatrice. At the time of his birth, the Graham family resided on Robinson Lane in St Marys.
Dr. Graham was educated in St Mary’s and graduated from St. Mary’s Collegiate Institute before going on to Medical School at the University of Western Ontario. He graduated M.D. in 1937. Dr. Graham interned during the summer of 1936 at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Chatham. From 1936-1937 he was a Student Clinical Intern at the Ontario Hospital in London, Ontario. Further in 1937 he was a Senior Intern at the Brantford General Hospital.
Dr. Graham joined the practice of Dr. James W. Rutherford and Dr. James S. Ferguson in Chatham 1937. In 1939, he purchased the practice of Dr. Charles B. Langford in Blenheim. That practice was located in a home built by Dr. James Samson in 1864, located at 46 George Street in Blenheim. Today this home is included on the Chatham-Kent Municipal Heritage Register.
Dr. Graham married Caroline Margaret McCubbin on the 8th of July, 1939 in Chatham at the Lacroix Street residence of her parents. Mrs. Graham was born on the 24th of December, 1912 in Chatham. Her parents were George Albert McCubbin and the former Charlotte Tobey. She had 2 older sisters; Charlotte and Clarissa and her father was a civil engineer. Mrs. Graham graduated from the University of Toronto and she taught school in the Chatham area.
Dr. and Mrs. Graham had 4 children; Caroline Anne, John George, Robert James and Malcolm Cameron.
Dr. Graham served on Blenheim Town Council for 10 years. He was a member of the Blenheim Public Utilities Commission and he was a member of the Blenheim District High School Board for 5 years. He served as the President of the Kent County Medical Society in 1945. Dr. Graham was actively involved with the East Kent Conservative Association and he served terms as President and Vice President. Dr. Graham belonged to the Kiwanis Club in Blenheim.
Mrs. Graham was a member of the Blenheim Public Library Board and she was a Past-President of the Chatham-Kent Chapter of the University Women’s League.
In his spare time, Dr. Graham enjoyed gardening, reading and travelling.
Dr. Graham died on the 14th of October, 1970. Mrs. Graham died on the 9th of November, 2005. They are buried at Evergreen Cemetery in Blenheim. Graham Street in the Town of Blenheim was named after him.
* Dr. James W. Rutherford, Dr. James S. Ferguson, Dr. Charles B. Langford and Dr. James Samson also appear on the Chatham-Kent Physician Tribute website.