Dr. John James Davis was born in Toronto on the 29th of May, 1875. His parents were Thomas George Davis and the former Mary Helen (Duncan) Kirk. Mrs. Davis was married to her first husband John Duncan in 1868. They had a daughter, Sarah Elizabeth Eleanor “Ella” Kirk prior to the death of Mr. Kirk on the 23rd of October, 1870. According to the 1871 census, Mrs. Kirk-Davis took a position as a servant to a farmer in King Twp, York County after her husband died. Her 1 year-old daughter Eleanor, appears on the census with her. Dr. Davis’s parents were married in Toronto on the 26th of February, 1874. Besides his older sister named Ella, Dr. Davis also had a younger sister Mary Ellen Davis who was born on the 7th of December, 1876. At the time of Mary Ellen’s birth, the Davis family resided at 20 Oak Street in Toronto. Dr. Davis’s father was an Excise Revenue Collector with the Post Office. In 1891 the Davis family lived in London, Ontario.
Dr. Davis graduated M.D. in 1897 from the University of Western Ontario. He joined the College of Physicians and Surgeons on the 20th of May, 1897. Dr. Davis set up his medical practice in Kent Bridge. He advertised his medical practice in the 1900 Farmers and Business Directory for Kent Bridge. Dr. Davis appears on the 1901 Ontario Census as practicing medicine and living in Chatham Twp (Chatham-Kent).
By 1910, Dr. Davis was living in Gananoque, Ontario. He married Orma Lena Taylor on the 20th of October, 1910 in Gananoque. Mrs. Davis was born on the 20th of February, 1876, the 4th of 6 children born to Robert Taylor and the former Polly Kilborn. Her father was a dry goods merchant and her siblings were; George, Annie, Verner, Blanche and Hilda.
Dr. and Mrs. Davis had 2 children, while they were living in Gananoque. Helen Patricia Davis was born on the 17th of March, 1912 and their son, Thomas George Davis was born on the 19th of September, 1913. Their son became a physician and he served with the Royal Canadian Navy. He died on the 1st of February, 1967.
Dr. Davis died at his residence on Pine Street in Gananoque on the 24th of August, 1948. Mrs. Davis died on the 5th of February, 1977. Dr. and Mrs. Davis were buried at the Gananoque Cemetery.