Dr. John Closson was born on the 9th of December, 1820 in Pomfret, New York, U.S.A. He was the 5th of 9 children born to John Closson and the former Pauline Sarah Palmer. His siblings were; Sarah, Lydia, Nancy, Stephen, Benjamin (who died in 1837 at the age of 14), James, Lucy and Lorenzo.
According to the 1882 Ontario Medical Register, Dr. Closson was licensed to practice in 1853. He joined the College of Physicians and Surgeons on the 28th of February 1877.
Dr. Closson was married to Eliza Farlane, daughter of John Miles Farlane and the former Martha Bobbier. Dr and Mrs. Closson had two children; Leonora Matilda Closson and Henry Closson.
Dr. and Mrs. Closson were living in Florence (Lambton County) Ontario in June 1860 when community leaders petitioned the Governor General of British North America et al, to have Dr. Closson designated as a Coroner. Sadly Mrs. Closson died in late 1860 and Dr. Closson moved to Scarborough prior to his notification of designation.
According to the 1861 census, Dr. Closson was living with his mother Pauline Closson, and his two children. Dr. Closson’s profession is listed as Doctor of Medicine.
In 1871, Dr. Closson was now 50 years old and living with the Robert Smith family in Tilbury East Twp. (Chatham-Kent). His daughter Leonora was living with the Beebe family in York. The whereabouts of his son Henry is unknown.
Leonora is living with her father in 1881 in Tilbury East Twp. According to the census of that year, Dr. Closson lists his occupation as physician and farmer. Leonora married William John Way on the 15th of June, 1882 in Tilbury East Twp. Mr. and Mrs. Way had two sons. The eldest son was named John Closson Way (1883-1960)
Dr. Closson died on the 2nd of December, 1897 while living in Tilbury East Twp.
*Dr. Closson’s brother, Lorenzo also became a physician and practiced medicine in the Toronto area.