Dr. John Alexander MacGregor was born on the 5th of May, 1872 in Middleville, Lanark County. He was the first born child of Alexander MacGregor and the former Elizabeth Robertson. His younger siblings included; Robert, William, Lizzie, Maggie and Albert. According to the 1891 census, the MacGregor family was living in the City of London. Further it was recorded that Mr. MacGregor was a life insurance agent and Dr. MacGregor was a medical student.
Dr. MacGregor graduated from the University of Western Ontario in 1891 at the age of 19. Dr. MacGregor set up his medical practice in Kent Bridge.
Dr. MacGregor married Matilda Maud Langford on the 27th of January, 1897 in Harwich Twp, Kent County. She was born in September of 1876, the youngest child of Edward Langford and the former Annie Houston. Her siblings were; Annie, Albert and Bessie.
After their marriage, Dr. and Mrs. MacGregor moved to Lincoln Twp., Kearney Co. in Nebraska USA. Their first child, Langford Stewart MacGregor was born in Nebraska in September of 1900. By 1905, the MacGregor family had moved to London, Ontario. A son, John Alexander MacGregor was born in London, on the 29th of July, 1905.
Dr. and Mrs. MacGregor purchased a home in London, located at 496 Waterloo Street. This beautiful home has since been designated as a Heritage Home. Dr. MacGregor taught medicine at the University of Western Ontario.
Dr. and Mrs. MacGregor’s son John, died of tuberculosis on the 21st of March, 1927. He was buried at the Woodland Mausoleum in London. Their son Langford became a physician.
Dr. MacGregor died on the 20th of September, 1939. Mrs. MacGregor died on the 22nd of May, 1952. They are buried in the Mausoleum at Woodland Cemetery. There sons are also buried there.
*Dr. MacGregor’s brother Robert also became a physician. Mrs. MacGregor was a first cousin to Dr. Charles Baldwin Langford who is also featured on the Chatham-Kent Physician Tribute website.
Photo courtesy of Western University Library.
*Due to structural damage at the mausoleum, wooded support’s prevented an unobstructed photograph of the memorial stone.