Dr. James Delmage Wilson was born in Morpeth on the 8th of November, 1855. His parents William Wilson and the former Matilda Delmage were born in Ireland. It is unknown when they immigrated to Canada, but all of their children were born in Canada. Dr. Wilson was the 7th of 11 children. His siblings included, Mary, Sarah (who married Dr. John Martin Fraser), William, Matilda, Robert, Maggie, John, Mariott, George and Mehitabel. His father was a merchant in Morpeth.
Dr. Wilson graduated from Trinity College in 1875. According to the 1882 Ontario Medical Register, Dr. Wilson joined the College of Physicians and Surgeons on the 13th of May, 1875. He started his medical practice in Duart, Ontario. His practice appears in the 1880 Kent County Directory under the Duart listings. He moved to Morpeth for a time and then in Bothwell. His practice is listed in the 1885 Ontario Business Directory.
Dr. Wilson married Mary “Emma” Woodworth. She was born in Belmont, Ontario on the 21st of December, 1856. She was the 3rd born child of Merritt Woodworth and the former Margaret Slaven. Her parents were born in the United States. Her 2 older siblings, Wallace and Henry were born in Quebec. Her siblings were Eugene, Colbourne and Edith and her parents were farmers.
Dr. and Mrs. Wilson lived in a home located at the corner of Main St. and Chestnut St, in Bothwell. This home is officially located at 421 Main Street and it is included on the Chatham-Kent Municipal Heritage Register.
Dr. and Mrs. Wilson were the parents of 2 children. Florence May who was born on the 9th of July, 1880 in Kent County and Charles Stuart who was born on the 10th of July, 1884 in Bothwell, Ontario.
In 1884 Dr. Wilson was dealing with an outbreak of diphtheria in the community of Bothwell. During this time, he moved his office to another location on the Main Street, probably in an attempt to protect his family from contracting diphtheria. Next door to his office on Main Street, he opened a drug store. Dr. Wilson moved his office back to his residence in 1887.
By 1894, the Wilson family was living at 50 Stanley Street in London, Ontario. Dr. Wilson died in April of 1926. Mrs. Wilson died on the 19th of September, 1930. They are buried at Woodland Cemetery in London.
*Dr. Wilson’s brother’s Dr. John Dolway Wilson and Dr. George Hudson Wilson also became physicians. Dr. George Hudson Wilson served with the Canadian Armed Services in WWI and he is featured on the Gathering Our Heroes website.
**His brother-in-law Dr. John Martin Fraser is also featured on the Chatham-Kent Physician Tribute website.