Dr. Hubert Carman White was born in Chatham on the 6th of June, 1932, the son of Dr. Charles Carman White and the former Iniz Roach. He had an older brother, Gordon Stuart White. Dr. White attended Chatham’s Central School from 1937-1945, and the Chatham Collegiate Institute from 1945-1946. He also attended Ridley College in St. Catharines, graduating in 1950.
Dr. White graduated from The University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine with his medical degree in 1956.
Dr. White married Helen Mary Jane Grothier on the 16th of June, 1956 in Woodstock. Mrs. White was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wilmer Gerald Grothier. She was a graduate of the Toronto General Hospital School of Nursing.
The following year, Dr. White completed an internship at St. Vincent’s Hospital, in Toledo, Ohio. From 1957 to 1960, Dr. White was a surgical resident at St. Vincent’s Hospital and from 1960-1962, he was the Senior Administrative Resident at Maumee Valley Hospital, in Toledo. Dr. White obtained his Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons in 1962 and in 1963 he was named a Diplomat of the American Board of Surgery.
In 1962, Dr. White began a general surgery practice in Chatham. His first office was located at 24 Third Street which is now the location of the Chatham-Kent Police Headquarters. Dr. White shared a medical office building located at 24 Third Street, with Dr. Charles D. Keeley, Dr. William J. Reid, Dr. Gary W. Asher, and Dr. George E. S. Beattie. Later, Dr. White moved into a private office on Thames Street. Dr. White was Chief of Staff at the Public General Hospital from 1985-1990 and he served on the Board of Governors at St. Clair College. Dr. White was a Board Member of the Howard J. Rees Foundation.
Dr. White received the Glenn Sawyer Award in 1996. This award is presented by the Ontario Medical Association to physicians who have greatly contributed to their community and to the medical profession.
In his spare time, Dr. White enjoyed working outside: riding the tractor, planting trees and cutting grass. He also enjoyed playing golf and he was a member of The Granite Club.
Dr. White remained active as a general surgeon until February 2007. He died on the 30th of March, 2007. He was buried at Maple Leaf Cemetery. Dr. White was survived by his wife Sue, three sons; Scott, Christopher and Timothy, and four grand-daughters; Maddie, Nickie, Grace and Hannah.
Mrs. Penny Susanne “Sue” (Peters) White was the only child of Gerald Peters and the former Penny Penzer. She was born on the 3rd of December, 1944 and grew up on Wilson Street in Chatham. She was a registered nurse, who completed her education by obtaining her B.ScN and her Masters of Science in nursing. For many years she worked at the Public General Hospital and taught nursing. She married Dr. White in 1979 and she enjoyed spending time with her sons and grand-daughters and working on the farm with her husband.
Mrs. White died in Windsor on the 8th of April 2016. She was buried beside Dr. White at Maple Leaf Cemetery.
*His father Dr. Charles Carman White, Dr. Charles Douglas Keeley, Dr. William James Reid, Dr. Gary Wayne Asher and Dr. George Edwin Schram Beattie are also featured on the Chatham-Kent Physician Tribute website.