Dr. Hart M. Proudfoot was born in Pitrodie, Scotland on July 3rd, 1828. He was the 8th of 11 children born to Rev. William Proudfoot and the former Isobel Aitcheson. His father was a Prebyterian minister and his siblings were; Mary Wilson Proudfoot (born in Scotland in 1815), Alexander Paton Proudfoot (born in Scotland in 1917) , Elizabeth Ann Proudfoot (born in Scotland in 1819), John James Aitchison Proudfoot (born in Scotland in 1821), William Proudfoot , Robert William Proudfoot, James Proudfoot was born and died in Scotland in 1827), Janet Proudfoot (was born in Scotland in 1830), Isobella Proudfoot (was born in Ontario in 1833) and Emily Elizabeth Proudfoot (was born in Ontario in 1835).
In 1832, Rev. and Mrs. Proudfoot and their children left Pitrodie, Scotland and arrived in New York State. After spending a few months in New York they moved to London, Ontario. Rev. Proudfoot lead his Presbyterian worshipers in building First St. Andrew’s Church and St. James Presbyterian Church in London. And in 1844 he also opened London’s first Divinity College. His son John, trained at the College and he became a Presbyterian minister. Rev. Proudfoot raised and educated his large family on a 200 acre parcel of land in London Township. The eastern part of that farm, abuts to Proudfoot Lane today, named after Rev. William Proudfoot.
According to the 1851 census, Dr. Hart M. Proudfoot was living and practicing medicine in Howard Township (Chatham-Kent). He is mentioned in a book by O.K. Watson, titled “Memories of Ridgetown”. Dr. Proudfoot was listed as a physician in Ridgetown around 1854.
Dr. Proudfoot married Sarah Gillis, who was born in 1828 in Ontario. They had at least 4 children; Margaret Proudfoot (died as a small child), Robert Hart Proudfoot, William Arthur Proudfoot and Mary Laidlaw Proudfoot.
In 1857 Dr. Proudfoot was listed in the business directory of Wellington Square (which was located in Nelson Twp, Halton County), Ontario.
By 1860, Dr. and Mrs. Proudfoot were living in Douglass, Iroquois County, Illinois with their sons, Robert (who was born in Ontario) and William (who was born in Illinois).
At some point the Proudfoot family moved back to Ridgetown. Dr. Proudfoot was listed in the 1864-1865 Kent County Directory and Gazetteer as practicing medicine in Ridgetown.
Dr. Proudfoot died in 1866. He was buried at Greenwood Cemetery in Ridgetown.
Mrs. Proudfoot was living with her son, Robert Hart Proudfoot in Pierre City, South Dakota according to the 1890 City Directory. Her son was a real estate agent. Sarah Proudfoot had returned to Ridgetown by 1891.
Mrs. Proudfoot died in 1910. She was buried in Mumford Rural Cemetery, Mumford, New York, U.S.A. On her tombstone it reads, ‘Sarah J. Proudfoot 1828-1910’ and ‘In Memory of Hart Proudfoot M.D.’