Dr. Harry Garfield Emerson was born on the 10th of August, 1881 near Wheatley, Ontario. He was the 5th of 8 children born to John Emerson and the former Hester Wigle. He was raised on a farm in Essex County, that his parents called “Fairhope”. His siblings were; Thomas, Lewis, Mary, Frank, Burns, Lily and Alta.
Dr Emerson attended a rural school before continuing on to Leamington High School. After graduation from high school, he attended the Windsor Model School and obtained his teaching certificate. Dr. Emerson taught school for a number of years and he was the Principal at the Mount Carmel Public School. In early 1905 Dr. Emerson had an office job at the Standard Oil Company but by the fall of that year he started his university medical training.
Dr. Emerson graduated M.B. in 1909 from The University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine. According to the 1911 census at the age of 30 Dr. Emerson was residing in Mersea Twp, Essex County.
The following year, Dr. Emerson married Lucy ‘Beatrice’ McQueen in St Thomas, on the 16th of November (1912). Mrs. Emerson was born on the 4th of August, 1878 near Comber, Ontario. Her parents, Robert McQueen and the former Mary Carter were farmers. She had an older brother named Robert and a younger sister named Charlotte. At the time of their marriage Dr. Emerson was residing in Toronto.
Shortly after their marriage Dr. and Mrs. Emerson were residing in Comber, where Dr. Emerson established his medical practice. They were the parents of 2 sons, Donald and Lister. Comber is approximately 12 km. west of Tilbury. Dr. Emerson routinely saw patients in Kent County as evidenced by numerous birth and death records.
Mrs. Emerson died in 1956. Dr. Emerson died in 1964. They were buried at McDowell Cemetery in Comber.