Dr. George William MacNamara was born on the 5th of June, 1851 in Ireland. His parents were the Reverend George MacNamara and the former Eleanor Matilda Pinkerton. Dr. MacNamara and his mother and his older sister Elizabeth left Liverpool, England aboard the ship “Crown” and arrived in New York on the 19th of July, 1852. He was only 11 months old. Dr. MacNamara’s father’s names does not appear on the passenger list. His father was a Methodist Minister and it is presumed that his father sailed to the United States ahead of his wife and children to prepare for their arrival. Dr. MacNamara’s next three siblings, Dorcas, Eleanor and James were all born in the United States. By 1859 Reverend MacNamara and his family had moved to Ontario. In 1861, the family was living in Tiny Twp. in Simcoe County and by 1871, the MacNamara family was living in Arthur in Wellington County. According to the 1871 census there were 3 more children in the family; Robert, Theophylis and Albert.
Dr. George MacNamara attended The University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine and graduated in 1879. Dr. MacNamara set up his medical practice in Tara, Bruce Twp. in Ontario. Dr. MacNamara advertised his practice in the Bruce County 1880 Business Directory. According to the 1881 census, Dr. MacNamara was living in Tara with his mother and his sister Dorcas.
Dr. MacNamara married Lilla Crawford on the 5th of September, 1883 in Coburg, Ontario. She was born near Coburg on the 23rd of July, 1856, the daughter of Angus Crawford and the former Isabella Laurie. Her parents were farmers and Mrs. MacNamara was the 8th of 11 children. Her siblings were; Olivia, Laura, Marquis, Charles, Angus, Isabella, Martha, Caroline, Janet and Bertha.
Dr. and Mrs. MacNamara returned to Tara to make their home. Their son, George “Lawrence” Crawford MacNamara was born there on the 22nd of May, 1885. Dr. MacNamara’s medical practice is advertised in the 1887 Bruce County Business Directory. Their daughter Bertha Isabelle was born on the 19th of May of 1887. By 1891 Dr. MacNamara was practicing in Hope Twp., Durham Co., but he didn’t stay there long.
Dr. and Mrs. MacNamara moved to Blenheim, Ontario. Dr. MacNamara is listed in Blenheim in the 1897 Farmers and Business Directory for Elgin, Essex, Kent and Lambton County. Dr. and Mrs. MacNamara and their family immigrated to Eldred, Pennsylvania in late 1897. By 1907, Dr. MacNamara was practicing in Erie, Pennsylvania and the family was living at 619 Parade Street. According to the 1914 census, Dr. MacNamara was living and working in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania.
The 1920 census of Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, stated that Dr. MacNamara was retired.
Dr. MacNamara died at the Punxsutawaney Hospital on the 9th of February, 1923. Mrs. MacNamara died 17 days later on the 26th of February. They are buried in Coburg, Ontario.
*His son Lawrence, enlisted in the United States Army during World War I.
**Dr. MacNamara’s brother Albert, also became a physician.