Dr. George Musson Jr. was born on the 11th of August, 1872 in Toronto, Ontario. He was the youngest of 3 children born to George Musson and the former Agnes Balfour. His siblings were William “Balfour” Musson and James “Woodly” Musson. At the time of his birth the Musson family resided at 14 St. Vincent Street in Toronto.
Dr. Musson attended Upper Canada College and Bishops Ridley College, prior to attending medical school. He graduated M.B. from The University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine in 1895. He started practicing medicine in Chatham shortly after his graduation. His office was located on Fifth Street near Llewellyn Street. He was known to drive a horse and buggy to see his patients and a little dog was his constant companion. He appears in the 1900 Business Directory as practicing in Chatham. In June of 1902, he was appointed as the “City Physician” succeeding the late Dr. Lorenzo Backus.
Dr. Musson was a member of the MacCauley Club in Chatham. He was known to bring dramatic recitations to the club, which at times were not appreciated by the older members. He was also a Mason and in 1907 he was the Worshipful Master of the Wellington Lodge. Dr. Musson was the physician of record for the Senior Citizens home in Chatham and he was known to bring Christmas treats to the residents. Dr. Musson enjoyed playing tennis.
Dr. Musson belonged 24th Kent Regiment and when World War I broke out, Dr Musson enlisted in Toronto on the 24th of September, 1914. He listed his father as his next-of-kin and his father resided at 1 North Street in Toronto. According to his enlistment he was 5′ 8″ tall, with brown eyes and graying brown hair. He was a member of the Army Medical Corp and he served in England and in France, even after the armistice. He was promoted to the rank of (Temporary) Major on the 29th of August, 1917 and Lt Colonel on the 20th of February 1919. Dr. Musson was struck off strength on the 24th of September, 1919 due to demobilization.
In 1920 he was placed in charge of the x-ray department of the Dominion Orthopedic Hospital on Christie Street in Toronto. He started a new medical practice in Toronto in May of 1921.
Dr. Musson died in Toronto on the 23rd of May, 1924, in his 53rd year. He was buried at the Saint James Cemetery in Toronto. At the time of his death, he resided at 96 Avenue Road in Toronto. He never married and he had no children.
*Dr. Musson is also featured on the ‘Gathering Our Heroes’ website.
*Dr. Lorenzo Backus also appears on the Chatham-Kent Physician Tribute website.