Dr. George Mitchell was born in Lambton County on the 10th of June, 1838, the son of William Mitchell and the former Jane Balogh. Dr. Mitchell attended Bellvue Hospital Medical College in New York, graduating M.D. in 1866. He received a certificate from the Toronto School of Medicine the same year. According to the 1882 Ontario Medical Register, Dr. Mitchell joined the College of Physicians and Surgeons on the 26th of December, 1866. He settled in Wallaceburg and began his medical practice in 1868.
He married Mary Ann Mott. She was born on the 4th of March, 1845 in Athens, Ontario, the daughter of Dr. George Mott and the former Hester Ann Smith. She had 3 younger sisters; Charlotte, Sarah and Artemisa and a brother named George Frederick Mott.
Dr. and Mrs. Mitchell had 4 children, Hattie Jane was born on the 9th of July, 1867 (d. 1946), George Frederick Claude was born on the 7th of January 1871 in Wallaceburg, but died on the 22nd of October 1875 of croup. William Harry was born on the 7th of September, 1876 (d. 1951) and George Roy was born on the 20th of March, 1884 (d. 1956).
Dr. Mitchell was made an Associate Coroner of Kent County in 1872. Wallaceburg was incorporated as a village in 1874. Dr. Mitchell was elected to the first village council of Wallaceburg in 1875 and he represented Wallaceburg as a Reeve from 1879 to 1881. He was elected as a Reeve again in 1883 and he served in that capacity until 1885. He was elected as a Warden of Kent County in 1885.
Dr. Mitchell was listed in the 1869 and the 1874-1875 Kent County Business Directory. He also appears in the 1885 and 1900 Ontario Business Directories as practicing medicine in Wallaceburg.
Dr. Mitchell ran as a Conservative candidate in the Federal Election of 1897, but he lost to the Hon. David Mills.
Dr. Mitchell was instrumental in the formation of the Sydenham Glass Company in Wallaceburg in 1891. He was also one of the early members of the Kent Historical Society. Dr. Mitchell built a home at the corner of Duncan and Wellington St. in Wallaceburg in 1892. (The home stood until 1962). Dr. Mitchell wrote a paper on Lord Selkirk’s Baldoon Settlement in 1913. The paper was published posthumously. Dr. Mitchell was a member of the Oddfellows.
Dr. Mitchell died on October 2nd, 1914, at his residence in Wallaceburg. He was buried at Riverview Cemetery, in Wallaceburg. Mrs. Mitchell died on the 22nd of February, 1922 and she was buried next to her husband at Riverview Cemetery.
*His father-in-law Dr. George Mott also appears on the Chatham-Kent Physician Tribute website.