Dr. George “Elliott” Woodford was born on the 6th of October, 1888 in St Thomas, Ontario. He was the 3rd of 4 children born to George Edward Woodford and the former Barbara Jane Anderson. His siblings were; Pearl May (born 1883), William Fulton (born 1886) and Sarah Fern (born 1893). His father was a locomotive engineer. In 1911, the Woodford family resided on Fifth Avenue in St Thomas.
Dr. Woodford was educated in St Thomas prior to attending the University of Western Ontario. Dr. Woodford graduated M.D. in 1913. An article that was published in the St Thomas Daily Times on the 9th of May, 1913 reported that Dr. Woodford’s marks had been exceptional and he had been awarded a diploma based on an appraisal of his marks by 3 examiners in his clinical studies. Dr. H. A. McCallum and Dr. J. A. MacGregor had each awarded Dr. Woodford 35 marks and a third examiner, Dr George Wilson had awarded Dr. Woodford 62 marks for his clinical studies. The average of the 3 examiners marks would be 44, enough marks to graduate with honors. It was alleged that only 35 marks were awarded to Dr. Woodford. Legal action was brought up but eventually the matter was resolved, with Dr. Woodford receiving his deserved accreditation. Dr. Woodford interned at St Joseph’s Hospital in London.
Dr. Woodford started practicing medicine in Merlin and in Tilbury starting in the latter half of 1913. His name appears on a number of birth and death records.
Dr. Woodford married Erma Margaret Mickey on the 29th of May, 1917 in Detroit Michigan. Mrs. Woodford was born in Saginaw, Michigan on the 11th of February, 1893. She was the eldest of 2 children born to George Mickey and the former Mary Lange. Her brother’s name was Raymond and her father was a machinist at a sawmill.
The following month after his marriage, Dr. Woodford was drafted on the 5th of June 1917 into the United States Army during WWI. His address on his draft card was listed as 33 Davenport Street in Detroit, Michigan.
Dr. and Mrs. Woodford had 3 children; George, James and Mary. Dr. Woodford’s office location appears in numerous Detroit Business Directories. From 1919 -1923 his medical office was located in the David Whitney Bldg.
Dr. and Mrs. Woodford moved to Hartford, Connecticut and according to the Hartford City Business Directory of 1928, Dr. Woodford’s medical office was located at 60 Arnoldale Road and the family resided at 55 Elm. Dr. Woodford was now working for the Connecticut General Life Insurance Company. The Woodford Family moved to 234 S. Ridgewood Road in New Jersey in 1930. Dr. Woodford was drafted into the United States Navy during WWII. At the time of his enlistment, he was residing at 463 Lenox Ave., in South Orange, New Jersey.
Mrs. Woodford died in September of 1975 in Plainfield, New Jersey.
*Dr. John Alexander MacGregor also appears on the Chatham-Kent Physician Tribute website.