Dr. Fredric William Hall was born on the 3rd of February, 1882 in Yorkville, York County, Ontario. His father was Dr. William Robert Hall and his mother was the former Eleanor Minturn. When Fredric was 3 years old, he moved to Chatham, where his father had a family medical practice.
Dr. Hall and his sister Edith Margaret (who was born in 1888), attended school in Chatham. Dr. Hall went on to study medicine at The University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine in 1899. Dr. Hall graduated M.B. in 1905. He interned at St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto. According to the 1928 Ontario Medical Register, Dr. Hall joined the Ontario College of Physicians and Surgeons on the 26th of June, 1906. After graduation he moved to Cleveland, Ohio, where he was a resident gynecologist at Lakeside Hospital for 3 years. He was elected as the Vice President of Lakeside Alumni Medical Association in May of 1915.
Dr. Hall married Meta Evelyn Wilson on the 17th of April, 1912, in Kent County. She was born on the 10th of October, 1883, the daughter of Matthew Wilson and the former Annie Marsden Atkinson. She had a younger sister named Jessie and a younger brother named Matthew. According to the 1911 census, the Wilson family lived at 325 Wellington Street in Chatham and her father was a lawyer. Mrs. Hall trained to be a nurse.
Dr. and Mrs. Hall had three children; William Wilson Hall was born on the 18th of February 1913, Fredrick was born and died in 1914 and their daughter Marsden Eleanor Hall was born in 1915.
After leaving Cleveland, Dr. Hall returned to Chatham and practiced medicine with his father. He obtained practicing privileges at the Public General Hospital and St. Joseph’s Hospital. Dr. Hall was the Secretary/Treasurer of the Kent County Medical Society and he served as President in 1946. His father died in 1915 and Dr. Hall took over his position as the Medical Officer of Health for the City of Chatham. He was appointed as the Medical Officer of Health for Dover Township in August of 1915. Dr. Hall devoted time to the military effort during World War I and World War II, but he did not serve abroad. Dr. Hall was appointed as a Kent County coroner on May 4, 1932; a position he held until 1959.
Dr. Hall was installed as the President of the Chatham Rotary Club in July of 1927 and served until 1928. His medical office was located at 39 Sixth Street in Chatham.
Dr. Hall died in 1961. Mrs. Hall died in 1964. They are buried at Maple Leaf Cemetery in Chatham. His sons, William and Fredrick are also buried in the family plot.
*Dr. Hall’s son, William Wilson Hall served his country during WWII and he is featured on the Gathering Our Heroes website.
**Dr. Hall’s father, Dr. William Robert Hall is also featured on the Chatham-Kent Physician Tribute website.
Note: Dr. Hall’s name appears on various documents with and without a “k”. The author of this biography has spelled it without a “k” as it appears in the University of Toronto Yearbook “Torontonesis” of 1905.