Dr. Eldon Reginald Tiffin was born on the 29th of November, 1903 in Tupperville. His parents, Sidney Tiffin and the former Laura Fritz were farmers. Dr. Tiffin had a younger sister named Lois and a younger brother named Alfred. Another sister Ruth died in 1911 at the age of 10 months. Dr. Tiffin attended the Tupperville Public School, Dresden High School and Chatham Collegiate Institute, before going to Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario.
After obtaining his B.A., he went on to achieve his M.D.,C.M. in 1928. Dr. Tiffin interned at Kingston General Hospital and Flushing Children’s Hospital in New York. His sister Lois became a nurse, but she died at the age of 26 of tuberculosis.
Dr. Tiffin started his medical career in Merlin. He moved to Wallaceburg in April of 1930. He purchased the practice of Dr. Richard Davidson Cowan. The medical practice was located on Nelson Street.
Dr. Tiffin married Mary Eloise O’Flynn on the 15th of May 1933 in St Mary’s, Perth County, Ontario. Mrs. Tiffin was born on the 13th of April, 1911 in Wallaceburg. She was the 4th of 5 children born to Andrew Joseph O’Flynn and the former Sarah Frances Hinnegan. Her siblings were Dumont, Elma, Darcy and Margaret. Mrs. Tiffin was a nurse.
Dr. and Mrs. Tiffin had 8 children; Arlyn Joan, Terrence Allen, Richard Eldon, James Warren, Mary Gaye, Susan Margaret, Patricia Anne and Jennifer. Mrs. Tiffin died on the 9th of November, 1957 and she was buried at Riverview Cemetery in Wallaceburg.
Dr. Tiffin married Bernice Madelline Haley on the 15th of August, 1958 in Lambeth, Ontario. She was the daughter of Maurice Haley and the former Madeline Smith. She graduated B.ScN from the University of Western Ontario in 1947.
Dr. Tiffin was the Public Health Officer from 1937 to 1938. He was the physician for the St. John’s Ambulance Brigade from 1933 to 1963. He was a medical officer with the N.P.A.N. attached to the Kent Regiment prior to World War II. During the war, Dr. Tiffin served oversea’s with the Royal Medical Corp.
He was a member of the first Board of Directors of the Windsor Medical Association and he served as the Chairman. He was the President of the Kent Medical Society in 1956. He was appointed District Coroner for Wallaceburg in April of 1956. Dr. Tiffin was a member of the Sydenham District Hospital and he became the first Chief of Staff when the hospital opened in Wallaceburg in 1957.
Dr. Tiffin was a member of the Kinsmen Club in Wallaceburg and he was the President in 1936. He was Chairman of the Wallaceburg Police Commission and he served on the Hydro-Electric Commission from 1942 until 1943. Dr. Tiffin was a member of the Royal Canadian Legion, Branch 18 and the United Church.
Dr. Tiffin enjoyed yachting and working on his 50 acre farm near Tupperville.
Dr. Tiffin died on the 10th of February, 1963. He was buried at Riverview Cemetery in Wallaceburg. After the death of Dr. Tiffin, Mrs. Bernice Tiffin married Dr. Marvin Lee Booth in 1987. After Dr. Booth died in 1994, she married William Earl Hill some years later. She died in 2002 and she was buried at Springford Cemetery in Oxford County.
*Dr. Tiffin is also featured on the Gathering Our Heroes website.
**Dr. Richard Davidson Cowan and Dr. Marvin Lee Booth are also featured on the Chatham-Kent Physicians Tribute website.