Dr. Earl Vincent Metcalfe was born on the 8th of August, 1907 in St. Thomas, Ontario. His parents were Alfred Metcalfe and the former Edith Annie Bell. Prior to Dr. Metcalfe’s birth, the Metcalfe family immigrated to Canada from England in 1905. Dr. Metcalfe had 2 older sisters, Doris May and Edith Catherine, who were both born in England. Dr. Metcalfe was raised in St Thomas.
Dr. Metcalfe attended the University of Western Ontario and graduated M.D. in 1933. He set up his medical practice on Lake Street North in Wheatley, Ontario in 1934.
On the 15th of June 1934, Dr. Metcalfe married Lila Moore, in St. Thomas. Mrs. Metcalfe was born in St Thomas, on the 25th of April, 1908. She was the 2nd of 4 children born to John Henry Moore and the former Agnes A. Cushman. At the time of her birth, the Moore family resided at 22 Jackson Street in St Thomas and her father was a barber. Her siblings were; Myrtle, Percy and Earl. At the time of their marriage, Mrs. Metcalfe was a school teacher.
Dr. and Mrs. Metcalfe resided on Monroe Street in Wheatley. Their son, Ronald Earl Metcalfe was born on the 21st of April, 1935. They also had a daughter.
In 1941, Dr. Metcalfe graduated from The University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine with his degree in Psychology.
Dr. Metcalfe answered the call to duty and served in the Royal Canadian Medical Corps during World War II. Dr. Metcalfe achieved the rank of Major. He was awarded a medal for 28 years of service with the Department of Veteran Affairs.
Upon his return from his service to his country, Dr. Metcalfe moved to London, Ontario and eventually became the Chief of Psychology at Westminster Hospital and a Senior Associate in Psychology at the University of Western Ontario. He specialized in treating the injuries of the veterans.
Dr. Metcalfe died at Westminster Hospital in London on the 25th of July, 1972. At the time of his death, Dr. and Mrs. Metcalfe resided at 24 Renwick Avenue in London. His wife Lila died in 1985. Dr and Mrs Metcalfe were buried at Elmdale Memorial Park Cemetery, 190 Wilson Ave., St Thomas, Ontario.
*The Webmaster gratefully acknowledges the research assistance of D. Reinhardus