Dr. Duncan Ferguson McLachlan was born on the 5th of March, 1883 near Glencoe, Middlesex County, Ontario. He was the 7th of 9 children born to Alexander McLachlan and the former Sarah Ferguson. His siblings included; Hugh, Donald, Jane, Katie, Flora, John, Sarah and Gordon. He was raised on a farm in the Glencoe area and attended Strathroy High School. For a number of years he taught at the Toronto Normal School.
His interests turned to medicine and he studied at The University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine graduating in 1905.
He went to work with Dr. J. W. Brien in Essex County for 1 year, then he moved to Dutton. While living in Dutton, Dr. McLachlan tended to patients in Highgate. He is listed as a practicing physician in Highgate in The Oxford Story 1827-1977.
On the 24th of March, 1909 he married Edythe Rose Woolridge in Dunwich Township. She was born on the 17th of January 1883 in Dunwich Twp, Elgin County, the second of 6 children born to Thomas Woolridge and the former Mary Howlett. Her parents were farmers and her siblings were; Lily, Pearl, William, Lucy and Ethel. On the marriage record, Mrs. McLachlan’s occupation was listed as milliner.
Dr. and Mrs. McLachlan had twin daughters, Margaret Jean and Marion Ilene born on the 4th of July, 1910. At the time of their birth, the family was living in Highgate. Dr. McLachlan was elected Mayor of Highgate in 1911.
Dr. McLachlan took a post-graduate course in New York and upon completion he moved his family to Windsor, Ontario, sometime prior to 1921. According to the 1921 census, Dr. and Mrs. McLachlan and their daughters resided at 498 Church Street in Windsor.
Dr. McLachlan was a member of the Essex County Medical Society and the Canadian Medical Association.
Dr. McLachlan died on the 14th of October of 1944. It states on his death record, that he last worked on the 10th of October, 1944. At the time of his death, he resided at 594 Church Street in Windsor. He was buried at Windsor Grove Cemetery. Mrs. McLachlan died on the 24th of January, 1945. She was also buried at Windsor Grove Cemetery.