Dr. Christopher William Flock was born in Toronto on the 12th of March, 1831. He was the eldest of 4 children born to William Flock and the former Mary McAvitt. His father was a carpenter and his siblings were; John Richard Flock, James Henry Flock and Mary Flock. Dr. Flock was educated in Toronto at James Hodgson’s Commercial and Classical Academy which was located on Colborne Street.
In 1845 he began studying medicine at Rolph’s Medical School, which is now called The University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine. Dr. Flock passed his medical board exams in 1850. He appears on the 1851 census, as practicing medicine in Nelson Twp, Halton County.
Dr. Flock married Helen Eliza Nelles on the 17th of November, 1852. Mrs. Flock was born on the 29th of May, 1829 in Grimsby, Ontario, the daughter of William Nelles and the former Mary Ann O’Reilly. Her father died when she was 10 years old and it does not appear that Mrs. Flock had any siblings. Her grandfather was Col. Robert Nelles, a militia officer, politician and businessman. He built a large mansion located at 126 Main Street West in Grimsby. Here Mrs. Flock’s father was raised with his many siblings. The mansion still stands today and operates as a museum.
According to the 1878 Ontario Medical Register, Dr. Flock graduated M.D. from Victoria College in 1856.
By 1857, Dr. and Mrs. Flock were living in Oakville, Ontario. For a time, Dr. Flock was a member of the Oakville City Council but in 1861 Dr. and Mrs. Flock had moved to Westminster Twp in Middlesex County. Dr. Flock joined the College of Physicians and Surgeons on the 14th of June, 1866.
According to the 1871 census, Dr. and Mrs. Flock were living in Port Stanley, Elgin County with their 8 children; William G. Flock, Helen Eliza Flock, Mary Margaret Flock, Sarah Jane Flock, Fanny Amelia McAvitt Flock, John Harry Flock, Edith Anna Bell Flock, Carrie Flock and Robert Nelles Flock.
In 1874, Dr. Flock was living in London and by 1880, Dr. Flock and his family were living in Lucan (Middlesex County). The infamous Donnelly massacre occurred near Lucan on February 4th, 1880. A vigilante group killed 5 members of the Donnelly family in Biddulph Twp. Dr. C. W. Flock performed the autopsies on the murdered family members. He testified in court at the trial of Jim Carroll, who was accused of murder in the Donnelly massacre. (Jim Carroll was acquitted.)
Not long after the Donnelly tragedy and trial, the Flock family moved to Leamington in Essex County. It was during this time, that Dr. Flock saw patients in Wheatley and Romney Twp due to the close proximity to Chatham-Kent (approx. 12 km). Dr. Flock’s name appears on a number of birth and death records, as early as 1882. His daughter Fannie died in Leamington on November, 1st, 1883. She was about 20 years old.
Around 1885 the Flock Family moved once again, to St Thomas in Elgin County. Dr. Flock advertised his medical practice in the 1885 Farmers and Business Directory for Elgin, Middlesex and Oxford Counties. Dr. Flock was a member of the Canadian Order of Foresters, the Ancient Order of Foresters and the Knights of Pythias.
In 1890, Dr. Flock moved his family to Bancroft, Nebraska. Mrs. Flock died in December of 1907 and she was buried at the Blair Cemetery in Blair, Nebraska. After his wife’s death, Dr. Flock moved to his son’s home in Emerson, Nebraska and retired from the practice of medicine.
Dr. Flock died at the home of his son, Robert Nelles Flock on the 10th of March, 1911. He was buried next to his wife at the Blair Cemetery. Cemetery officials advise that there is no tombstone on their graves.
*Dr. Flock’s son Robert Nelles Flock, enlisted in World War I and served with the Canadian Armed Services.
**Dr. Flock’s brother, Dr. John Richard Flock graduated M.D. from Victoria College in 1858 and he practiced medicine in London, Ontario.