Dr. Charles Carman White was born on the 12th of May 1898 in Raleigh Twp. His parents Sylvester Franklin White and the former Hannah Manning, were farmers on the 10th concession, lot 18. Dr. White was the 6th of 8 children and his siblings were; Frank, Harry, Leroy, Morley, Fred, Willard and Grace. Dr. White enlisted during WWI in the Royal Flying Corps on the 13th of May, 1918. He was stationed at the Jesse Ketchum School in Toronto. He was given extended leave of absence on the 4th of December, 1918 and he was discharged on the 1st of March, 1919 due to demobilization.
After the death of his father in 1917, Dr. White’s mother left the farm and moved to 78 West Street in Chatham. According to the 1921 census, Dr. White resided with his mother and he was a medical student. Dr. White attended The University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine and graduated M.B. in 1924. Dr. White interned at St. Vincent Hospital in Toledo. In 1925, Dr. White opened his first medical practice in Bettsville, Ohio.
On the 5th of September, 1925 he married Margaret “Iniz” Roach in Chatham. She was born on the 29th of March, 1894, in Chatham the daughter of Tunis Washington Roach and the former Margaret Elizabeth Scott. Her siblings were; Manson, Melville, Flossie and Harry and according to the 1911 census, she resided at 167 Adelaide Street. Mrs. White graduated from the Chatham Public General Hospital School of Nursing in 1919 and later she graduated from the University of Western Ontario with a degree in Public Health. She worked in Stratford for a number of years for the Victorian Order of Nurses.
Dr. and Mrs. White had two sons, Gordon Stuart White who was born on the 5th of March, 1928 and Hubert Carman White who was born in Chatham on the 6th of June, 1932.
Dr. White remained in Ohio for three years, before returning to Chatham to establish a family medicine practice. At the beginning of his medical career in Chatham, Dr. White instructed at Chatham’s two hospital nursing schools on a variety of subjects. Dr. White was named a coroner for Kent County in October of 1938 and in December of 1943, Dr. White was designated as the M.O.H. for the City of Chatham.
Dr. White served the President of the Kent County Medical Society in 1938. He was also heavily involved in the Ontario Medical Association (OMA). In 1941, Dr. White was elected as a Councillor to the OMA. He served as Chairman of Council for the Ontario Medical Association from 1945-1946. The following year, Dr. White was the President-Elect of the OMA, and in the 1947-1948 term, he was named President of the OMA. In addition, he served a term as Chief of Staff at St. Joseph’s Hospital. According to the 1941 Shepherds City of Chatham Business Directory, Dr. White’s office was located in the Hicks Building at “Memorial Square”.
Mrs. White was a member of Park Street United Church and she was active with the Women’s Missionary Society. She belonged to the Registered Nurses Association of Ontario and she served on the Chatham Board of the Victorian Order of Nurses. Mrs. White belonged to the Heather Society of the Public General Hospital, the Major George Smith Chapter of the I.O.D.E. and the Canadian Club.
Dr. White published an article entitled, “Spinal Anaesthesia In Obstetrics” in the November 1953 edition of the Canadian Medical Association Journal (Volume 69).
Tragically, on the 5th of May, 1963, Dr. and Mrs. White were involved in a car accident at the intersection of the 6th Concession and Highway 40 north of Chatham. Mrs. White died at the scene and Dr. White died on the 15th of May, 1963, as a result of his injuries. They are buried at Maple Leaf Cemetery in Chatham.
*Dr. Charles Carman White also appears on the ‘Gathering Our Heroes’ website.
**His son, Dr. Hubert Carmen White is also featured on the Chatham-Kent Physician Tribute website.
***His brother Dr. Albert Willard McCollum White also became a physician but he is not known to have practiced medicine in Kent County.