Dr. Campbell Thompson Lamont was born in Middlesex County, Ontario on the 19th of March, 1922. He was the 2nd of 3 children born to Alexander Lamont and the former Marie Thompson. (His paternal grandmother’s maiden name was Campbell.) Dr. Lamont had an older sister named Margaret Alexandra Lamont and a younger brother named Colin Alexander Lamont. Dr. Lamont was raised on the family farm in Mount Brydges. He graduated from Strathroy Collegiate Institute prior to attending university.
Dr. Lamont enrolled at the University of Western Ontario and graduated with a medical degree in 1946. He completed an internship at Victoria Hospital (London) in 1947 and a residency at Westminster Hospital (London) in 1948.
Dr. Lamont married Patricia Joan MacRobert on the 19th of March 1949 in London, Ontario. Mrs. Lamont was born in 1926, the daughter of Alfred Hartley MacRobert and the former Helena Hester Marguerite Hadden.
Dr. and Mrs. Lamont had 2 children, John and Mary.
Dr. Lamont began his career in Bothwell in 1948 as a family practitioner. He maintained this practice until 1957, at which time he moved his office to Thamesville, where he practiced medicine until 1967. During these years, Dr. Lamont was also on the staff of the Public General Hospital, and on the courtesy staff of St. Joseph’s Hospital. Dr. Lamont was President of the Kent County Medical Society in 1958. He was elected Secretary of the Ontario Medical Association (District 1) in October of 1958. In 1959 Dr. Lamont was involved in fundraising on behalf of Thamesville Rotary to have a community pool built at Ferguson Park.
After leaving Chatham-Kent, Dr. Lamont served on active staff at Ottawa General Hospital from 1975-1988, and also at Elizabeth Bruyere Health Centre from 1982-93. He was the Medical Director of St. Patrick’s Home of Ottawa from 1988 until 1993. Dr. Lamont also had an active career in the field of medical education. He was an Associate Professor of Family Medicine at the University of Western Ontario from 1967 until 1971. He then took a position as Professor and Chair of the Department of Family Medicine, at the State University of New York at Stony Brook from 1971 until 1975.
Finally, from 1975 until 1988, Dr. Lamont was Professor and Chair of the Department of Family Medicine at University of Ottawa School of Medicine. Dr. Lamont was also a guest lecturer at the College of Family Physicians of Canada in 1975, and at the World Conference on Family Medicine both 1976 and 1980. He had many articles published, and his work appeared in: Journal of Medical Education (1972), New York State Journal of Medicine (1977), Canadian Medical Association Journal (1980 and 1989), Journal of American Geriatrics Society (1983), and Canadian Family Physician (1985).
Dr. Lamont was active in the Canadian Cancer Society in both London and Ottawa, serving on the Board of Directors as Vice President and President. Named after Dr. Lamont, the C.T. Lamont Primary Health Care Research Centre is a centre within the Elisabeth Bruyere Research Institute and is the research arm of the Department of Family Medicine of the University of Ottawa. It has earned a nationwide reputation for the quality of its research work.
Mrs. Lamont died in Ottawa on the 8th of June, 2001. Dr. Lamont died in Ottawa on the 29th of July, 2009. Dr. and Mrs. Lamont were survived by their children John Lamont (Toronto), and Mary Lamont-Marchese (New York). Dr. and Mrs. Lamont were interred at Capitol Garden of Memories in Carleton, Ontario.