Dr. Arthur Kew was born on the 4th of October, 1875 in Canada. Dr. Kew graduated from the American School of Osteopathy in Kirksville, Missouri in 1905.
Dr. Kew married Grace Louise Johnson on the 9th of January, 1907 at the bride’s home on Ellsworth Avenue in Pittsburgh. Mrs. Kew was born on the 26th of August, 1874 in Appleton, Wisconsin, the daughter of Theodore Johnson and the former Ella Louise Cole. According to the 1900 census, the Johnson family was living in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and her father was a fire insurance agent. She had an older brother named Russell and a younger sister named Edith.
Dr. and Mrs. Kew had a son named Theodore Johnson Kew who was born on the 26th of September, 1909 in Pennsylvania. Their daughter, Constance Kew was born in Pittsburgh on the 19th of October, 1917. According to the 1910 census, the Kew family resided at 806 Arken Ave., in Pittsburgh. Dr. Kew was a member of Rotary. In the January 29th, 1911 edition of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, an article appeared advising that the Canadian Society of Pittsburgh were having an informal dinner at the Fort Pitt Hotel. Dr Arthur Kew was the chairman of the entertainment committee and the article urged anyone who wanted to attend to contact Dr. Kew.
An article appeared in the Wingham Advance on the 29th of May, 1913. It advertised that Dr. Arthur Kew would be spending 3-5 months in Wingham and seeing patients in an office at the corner of Minnie and Patrick Street.
Dr. Arthur Kew was drafted on the 12th of September, 1918 and served with the United States Military as a physician. At the time of his service he lived at 446 Amberson Ave., in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. His medical office was located in the 1st National Bank Building.
Dr. and Mrs. Kew moved to Chatham in October of 1921. An article in The Chatham Daily Planet stated that Dr. and Mrs. Kew and their 2 children would reside at 21 Grant Street. His office would also be located at the same address. That same article stated that Dr. Kew had been born in Thamesville, but this information could not be substantiated.
In February of 1923, Dr. and Mrs. Kew and their children moved back to Pennsylvania. He opened an office in the Elks Building on Lincoln Way East and the family moved in to a home located at 608 Philadelphia Avenue.
Mrs. Kew died in Pittsburgh on the 23rd of October, 1924. She was buried at Homewood Cemetery in Pittsburgh.
Dr. Kew married Sarah Ellen Stuff on the 27th of January, 1926 in New York City. She was born in Pennsylvania in January of 1880. She was the 2nd of 4 children born to John Henry Stuff and the former Mary Anne Gingrich. Mrs. Kew’s parents were farmers and her siblings were; Emma Laurene, Anne May and Blanche Barbara. Mrs. Kew graduated from Irving College in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania in 1907. She was a school teacher.
According to her obituary, Dr. Kew’s daughter Constance (Kew) Laycock was adopted by her maternal cousin, Constance Emerson Giel in 1931. Constance would have been 14 years old at the time.
According to the 1930 and 1940 U.S. Census’, Dr. and Mrs. Kew his office and home was located at 515 Philadelphia Ave., in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. Dr. Kew and his family moved to Winter Park, Florida in 1940.
Dr. Kew died on the 27th of July, 1943 in Winter Park, Florida. He was buried at Homewood Cemetery in Pittsburgh next to his first wife.
Mrs. Sarah Ellen (Stuff) Kew died on the 18th of March, 1950. She was buried at Cedar Hill Cemetery, Greencastle, (Franklin County) in Pennsylvania. Her sister Emma Laurene died on the 2nd of November, 1894 at the age of 18. She is also buried at Cedar Hill Cemetery.
*Mrs. Kew’s grave marker is the only tombstone available. Dr. Kew does not have a tombstone, but cemetery officials confirm he was interred next to his wife.
**Dr. Kew’s son served with the United States Army during WWII. He died in Florida on the 13th of October, 1973.