Dr. Andrew Calder Green was born September 25th, 1906 in Chesley, Ontario. He was the 2nd of 7 children born to John Allen Green and the former Jessie Anderson Carnegie. (Dr. Green’s paternal grandmothers maiden name was Calder.) His siblings were: Gerald, Frederick (who died at the age of 10), Florence, Leslie, Douglas and Kenneth. His father was a carpenter. Dr. Green was educated in the local Chesley school system and he graduated from the Chesley High School prior to attending The University of Toronto.
Dr. Green graduated with his Bachelor of Arts degree in 1930. He continued his studies at The University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine and obtained his M.D. in 1936. Dr. Green interned for two years at Toronto Western Hospital. In 1938 Dr. Green started work as a physician at the Port Arthur Clinic and he worked there until he enlisted in the Army in June of 1940.
Dr. Green married Mildred Elizabeth Gosnell on June 27th, 1940 in Kakabeka Falls, Ontario. Mrs. Green was born in Harwich Twp, (Kent County) on the 27th of August 1913, the daughter of John Lee Gosnell and the former Annie Keown. Her parents were farmers and she had 4 sisters; Muriel, Kathleen, Jean and Leah. Mrs. Green graduated as a registered nurse.
Dr. Green was in the Medical Corp of the 22nd Regiment during WWII. He was stationed at Camp Borden then he went to Ottawa, followed by St. John, New Brunswick and Debert, Nova Scotia before going overseas. Dr. Green was sent overseas in 1942. On the 12th of July, 1944, Dr. Green was shipped to Normandy, France where he worked at a mobile hospital unit for the seriously wounded for about 6 weeks. In September of 1944, Dr. Green was promoted to the rank of major. He was discharged in February of 1945. Dr. Green set up his practice in the municipal building on George Street in Blenheim.
Dr. and Mrs. Green were the proud parents of 4 children; Peter, Ken, Kathleen and David.
Dr. Green was the President of the Kent County Medical Society in 1950. He sat on the Blenheim Public School Board and the Blenheim District High School Board. Dr. Green was a member of the A.F. & A.M. Masonic Lodge, the Canadian Legion and the Rotary Club. Dr. Green enjoyed playing golf, fishing and camping in his trailer.
Dr. Green’s son, Peter became a physician and he worked with his father in the Blenheim practice for 20 years. Father and son had their medical offices on Talbot Street in Blenheim. In 1975 they opened a new office on Ellen Street. Also in 1975, Dr. Andrew Green received the Glenn Sawyer from the Ontario Medical Association. This award is bestowed upon a physician who has greatly contributed to their community and the medical profession.
Mrs. Green died on the 23rd of February, 1987. Dr. Green died on June 13th, 1991 and they are buried at Evergreen Cemetery in Blenheim.
*Dr. Green appears on the Gathering Our Heroes website. His brother’s Leslie and Douglas served with the Royal Canadian Navy during WWII. His brother Kenneth was a pilot and he served with the Royal Canadian Air Force during World War II. He was killed in a flying accident on the 19th of August, 1944. He was buried at Brookwood Military Cemetery in Surrey, England.
**His son, Dr. Peter Green is also featured on the Chatham-Kent Physician Tribute website.