Dr. Alexander Penrose ‘Forbes’ Gammack was born on the 6th of July, 1867 in Drumlithe, Scotland. He was the eldest son of Rev. James Gammack and the former Jane Ann Wilson. He had an older sister named Mary and 4 younger brothers; John, Arthur, George and Frederick.
Dr. Gammack graduated M.B.,C.M. from the University of Aberdeen in 1889. Dr. Gammack practiced medicine in Merlin. His name appears on birth records in Merlin, Tilbury East Twp (Chatham-Kent) and the community of Buxton as early as 1891.
Dr. Gammack married Isabella “Ella” Catherine Agnes Scott in Sarnia, Ontario on the 26th of August, 1896. She was born on the 27th of August, 1870 in Lambton County, the daughter of Reverend Robert and Isabella Scott. Rev. Scott was a Presbyterian Minister. Mrs. Gammack had 2 older brothers, Colin and Robert. Prior to his marriage, Dr. Gammack had moved to East Berlin, Connecticut.
Their daughter Jean Isabelle Gammack was born in Berlin, Connecticut on the 2nd of January, 1898. The Gammack family had moved to South Bend, Indiana around 1900 and two more children were born to Dr. and Mrs. Gammack, their daughter Frances Ann Gammack was born on the 24th of July, 1907 and a son named Robert J. Gammack was born on the 17th of November, 1910.
Dr. Gammack served overseas with the British Royal Army Medical Corps during World War I. In 1917 he was promoted from First Lieutenant to Captian.
Dr. Gammack was a member of the Independent Order of Foresters.
Mrs. Gammack’s brother Robert Scott, also became a physician and he was living with Dr. and Mrs. Gammack when the 1910 U.S. Census was completed. Dr. Robert David Scott died in South Bend, Indiana on the 11th of July, 1913.
In 1930, the U.K. & Ireland Medical Directory listed Dr. Gammack’s medical practice location as Suite 601, Sherland Bldg in South Bend.
Mrs. Gammack died in South Bend on the 14th of February, 1936. Dr. Gammack died on the 20th of April, 1941. At the time of his death, he resided at 812 Forest Ave., in South Bend. Dr. and Mrs. Gammack are buried at Riverview Cemetery in South Bend, Indiana, U.S.A.